Monday, September 17, 2012

30 days to go.

It's almost here! This week I have my pre-op testing on Thursday. This is getting real!

I've been making small changes for awhile now getting ready for my surgery. The first and what I thought would be the hardest was giving up carbonation. I've been soda free for years now but I would drink seltzer water like it was going out of style. Basically, that's ALL I would drink. The first week I cut down from 6+ cans a day to 3 a day. Then the second week I decided to give it all up. It was actually easier than I thought. I've now been carbonation free for 2 months! Propel, Crystal Light and Powerade Zero are my new friends.

The other thing I cut out was gum. Which was harder. I chewed gum ALL the time. I can't chew gum for the first 6 months after my surgery so I had to cull that habit. I still slip every now and then.

I've become more aware of my protein intake, which after surgery will be extremely important. I will need to make sure my daily protein is 64gms or more. I'm not a huge meat eater. Every once in awhile I will have some chicken, but that's about it. The good thing is there is so many other ways to get my protein that I don't have to worry about it! A few things that are going to be a big part of my protein for the day is cheese, yogurt, beans and "meat-less" meats like Morning Star Farms or Boca. My favorites are the MorningStar Farms® Chik Patties® Original 140 calories and 8gms of protein!

In preparation for my 2 week liquid protein diet I have been sampling some protein powders and drinks. This week  I tried and stocked up on some IsoPure. It's a great clear fruit protein drink similar to Gatorade or Powerade. It definitely has an aftertaste, it IS whey protein after all, but it is a GREAT alternative to all those milk based shakes & drinks that are in my near future. It comes in a bunch of great flavors and each bottle is 40gms of protein. I got a great deal at my local GNC while they were BOGO 50% off. Plus I'm a Gold Card member which saved me 15% off my order AND I had a $10 off coupon. I got an entire case for $38. Retail is $75 for a case! 


Plus they were giving away a free Quest Protein Barwith purchases so I got to try the Cinnamon Roll bar. I've heard a lot of good things about Quest bars, but I just don't think they are for me. The texture is really grainy and it tastes nothing of cinnamon roll. The best I can say is that I got a hint of cinnamon aftertaste but other than that it was just eating a sticky, grainy bar of goo. It sure does pack in a lot of protein in a small package but I'm sure there are other options out there that are more palette friendly for me. 


In the coming weeks I will start taking and posting some photos. I will be chronicling my weight loss journey visually as well by taking periodical photos and sharing them. It will mostly likely be a monthly thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment