Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Unauthorized Guest Post!

Hello to all!  I am Heather's husband, Michael.  Heather has no idea that I am posting this on her blog.  However, I thought I would share some of my thoughts about Heather's decision to have weight loss surgery and why I have absolutely no doubt she will succeed.

My wife of almost 10 years can do just about anything.  I've seen her find her way to New Jersey to meet some guy who she knew only by a screen name.  I've seen her teach herself how to knit amazing toys and gifts for friends and family members (or strangers in need).  I've seen her read entire books in one day. I've seen her handle a very challenging 4 year old and our home day after day while I am at work or out at some sporting event or church group.  She does a terrific job at all of it, even if I do give her a hard time sometimes.

The one thing that has always scared me about Heather has been her weight.  Her appearance has nothing to do with my worry, as I believe she is beautiful inside and out.  I've been scared because of her health.  While Heather is a generally healthy person, she has had problems with her back for as long as I have known her.  Her weight, combined with the pressure it puts on her back, means we can't be as active as we want to be and enjoy the outdoors and other special moments as a family.  I also know that being overweight can have increasing health effects as one gets older, and I want to make sure that Heather is around for a long, long time, as I couldn't ever imagine my life without her.

That is why I fully support Heather's decision to have surgery.  I have no doubt that not only will the surgery help her to become more healthy, but that she really wants to be that way.  I know that Heather will follow every piece of advice and every word that her doctors say.  I know that Heather has been thoroughly vetted by the fine folks at the SSM Weight Loss Institute, and firmly believe that they would have rejected Heather for this surgery had she not had a fantastic opportunity to do well.  The doctors have told me and Heather that her current generally good health gives her an excellent chance to have a successful surgery, recovery, and subsequent weight loss.  I don't think there's a chance... I think it will be automatic.

Not that it won't take some work.  I'm sitting here thinking about what it would be like to go 48 hours without eating anything.  I think I'd go out of my mind.  She's done it and still has 12 days to go.  No pizza or pasta for the rest of my life?  I'd go clinically insane.  See what I mean when I said Heather could do anything?  I'm so very proud of her, and I know she'll make it.

I have no idea what our lives will be like after the surgery.  However, I'm so excited to see what the future brings.  Ten years of marriage is a huge milestone, and I'm very likely to celebrate it with a happier and healthier wife.  Nothing would make me more grateful.

Thanks for listening to me ramble and for supporting Heather as her surgery date approaches.  You never know, I might just pop up again and post here.  In the meantime, all of Heather's family and friends should know that I am by her side through it all and will support her before this surgery, after this surgery, and for the rest of her life.  I take that responsibility very seriously, and I expect all of you to hold me to it.  Until next time...

-Michael

1 comment:

  1. This is the sweetest thing ever!!!! Glad Heather has your support & love!!! : )

    ReplyDelete