Monday, October 1, 2012

Bring it on!

The words of R.E.M. are swirling in my head this morning.

 "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"



Today marks my last day before my WLS journey really begins, because tomorrow I start my 2 week liquid protein diet. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous, I am. I will probably have a break down or two, cry or whine over the next 2 weeks. However, I know that this is the right path for me and while these next 2 weeks might be the hardest part of this whole journey. Basically you are living your life as if you had already had the surgery. Reducing calories down to about 800 a day and 40gms of carbs or less. Here's what I get to eat/drink for the next 2 weeks:

Protein shakes
Tea
Water
Crystal Lite or Sugar Free Koolaid
Flavored waters like Propel or Powerade Zero
Broth
Sugar Free Popsicles 
Sugar Free Jello

Sounds yummy doesn't it?!? I've stocked up, bought every flavor jello I could find and got some popsicle molds to make my own popsicles from Crystal Lite/Koolaid. Now the whole reason for this 2 week diet is to get my body ready for the surgery. One major benefit from doing this is that it shrinks the liver. The VSG surgery is done laparoscopically and to be successful they have to maneuver around the liver. It also aids in pre-op weight loss. I've heard others doing the 2 week liquid diet have lost 0-20+ pounds, but everyone is different. 

Tonight I will be taking photos of my starting point and taking measurements. I want to document this journey I am going on every way possible. It's the start of a whole new me and I am so excited. I'm not jaded, I know this is not going to be a walk in the park. I'm ready to do the work. For myself, for my husband and my son. They mean the world to me and I want to be here with them for as long as possible. This surgery is giving me the opportunity to restart my life and create a better future for all of us. I'm so lucky to have the unwavering support of my husband along with family & friends. 

I'm ready for this. BRING IT ON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment